This past Sunday, we had the huge pleasure of having a sneak peek of The National, a new restaurant opening in here in Athens. Our job: photos (lots of photos!) and to sample the wonderful food. And it really was wonderful- so wonderful in fact, that after tasting over twenty dishes I was still wanting more.
A few of my favorites from the menu:
- marinated local carrots
- hummus and tabbouleh with grilled flatbread
- marinated clams with orange-chile vinaigrette
- spinach salad with apple, marconas, Idiazabal and a sherry vinaigrette
- seared scallops with hazelnut brown butter and whipped white beans
- roasted Ashley Farms ½ chicken with crisp artichokes, chickpeas and okra, harissa and a lemon yogurt sauce
- hangar steak with patatas bravas, piquilo salsa and arugula with crushed almonds
In addition to the excellent and varied menu, The National boasts full bar with an excellent selection of wines and a large wine preservation system. I’ve found my new happy hour spot! The National opens this Wednesday, the 22nd.
232 West Hancock Avenue
Athens, GA 30601
I haven’t forgotten to post about our dinner on Saturday. It’s coming!Tags: Graham Cracker, The National